Law Office of Paul W. Hamilton

Will I Have To Go To Jail If I Face Criminal Charges?

Whether or not you’ll have to go to jail if you’re faced with criminal charges will depend on the nature of the charges. In most criminal cases, you will not have to serve any jail time. However, if it’s a serious criminal offense, you may have to serve jail time. There are very few misdemeanor cases that require a mandatory jail sentence, but there are several felony crimes that do require a jail sentence. It really depends on the nature of the charges and whether it’s a misdemeanor or a felony.

How Long Will I Have To Go To Jail For?

The length of time that you will have to serve in jail is dependent on the crime that you are sentenced on. In most cases, you will not have to go to jail if it is not a serious or violent felony.

Do I Really Need To Hire An Attorney?

It’s very important to hire a lawyer to help you with a criminal case. An attorney will know the prosecutors and judges in the court where your charge is pending, and they will know how to work with those individuals in order to get you the best possible outcome. An attorney is also trained in law and procedure, which in some circumstances can be very confusing.

How Much Is All Of This Going To Cost Me?

The cost of hiring an attorney for a criminal case will depend on the nature of the case itself. We typically charge anywhere from $2,500 up to $10,000 or more depending on the charges.

Do You Accept Payment Plans?

We do not accept payment plans at our office. We typically quote a fee for handling the case up until trial. A second fee will be quoted if the case is scheduled for trial. All amounts of money are due at the time that we are hired on the case.

Can I Get Probation?

In many cases, you can get probation if the charges against you are not serious violent felonies.

Do I Have A Winning Case?

Whether or not you have a winning case will depend on the evidence, the witnesses and their credibility, and the credibility of the individual that’s accusing you of the crime. There are a number of things that go into this determination. As your attorney, I will explain to you the facts and circumstances of your case and how they may play out before a jury or a judge.

How Long Will All Of This Take?

Criminal cases can run anywhere from a few months to two or three years. It really depends on the jurisdiction and the type of court that your case is in. Lower level courts tend to move quicker than higher level courts, and lower level misdemeanors tend to be resolved quicker than serious felonies.

Will I Lose My License?

There are a number of criminal offenses in Georgia that may result in a loss of a license. A few of them are driving under the influence, driving on a suspended license and leaving the scene of an accident. We try to work with the prosecutor and negotiate a sentence that would not result in a suspension of a driver’s license. We are often successful in doing so.

Will I Lose My Job?

Whether or not you will lose your job will depend on the employer for whom you work. Every employer has different criteria for employees who are charged criminally. The medical, financial and military professions tend to be very strict on criminal offenses. Each individual employer has different criteria that they look at in order to determine whether or not you’ll be able to maintain your job. We approach every case with the goal of ensuring that our client will still be able to work at their present occupation.

Should I Inform My Spouse About My Criminal Case?

Whether or not you tell your significant other about the criminal charges is a personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves. My personal advice is that you probably should tell your spouse because the end result of a criminal case is more than likely going to require the expenditure of household moneys. Your significant other could also be a great source of strength as you go through a difficult time of defending yourself in court.

For more information on Facing Criminal Charges In Georgia, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (229) 207-0850 today.

Paul W. Hamilton, Esq.

Get your questions answered - call me (229) 207-0850